The Brink

Random update

From: Talic | Posted: October 2, 2018, 4:30:27 | Message Detail | Quote | #001
Hey guys.

So I think I normally update you all when big shit happens. My wife and I just bought a house!

Probably not that big of a deal, but it's pretty exciting for us.

So, yeah.

Anything new with you guys?

---
The Hall of Thrax
IIRC, Africa gave us AIDS.
I would take it in the ass from Harrison Ford tbqh
From: Lethal | Posted: October 3, 2018, 14:07:44 | Message Detail | Quote | #002
Nice, congrats dude.
---
Society had a crime problem. It hired cops to attack crime. Now society has a cop problem.
From: Squire636 | Posted: October 19, 2018, 7:18:08 | Message Detail | Quote | #003
That's awesome, congrats! I'm getting married next August and will look to buy something around then as well.
From: Deuce | Posted: October 24, 2018, 16:48:18 | Message Detail | Quote | #004
Congratulations. I bought my first one last November. It's an appalling waste considering I live alone and work 14 hours a day though, so honestly even though it's a nice place, I do pretty much feel like I should've waited until I had an actual reason to buy one.

---
Hostis humani generis.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
From: Talic | Posted: October 25, 2018, 6:57:26 | Message Detail | Quote | #005
If it makes you feel any better the main reason we bought one was that our downstairs neighbor smoked cigarettes inside and somehow it made our entire apartment smell like smoke. We dealt with it for over a year and just couldn't anymore.
---
The Hall of Thrax
From: Useless | Posted: October 25, 2018, 13:49:36 | Message Detail | Quote | #006
Could be worse, the people across the hall from me smoke weed all the time. In good weather they like to smoke right outside my window.
---
Everyone out of the universe, quick!
From: Talic | Posted: October 31, 2018, 12:05:53 | Message Detail | Quote | #007
The guy used to smoke weed inside too.

My wife (who is pretty small. Only 5ft tall) thought it was a bunch of college kids before we actually met the guy. So one day when she gets home it smell so bad like weed that you would have thought they were smoking it in our apartment. She was PISSED and immediately ran downstairs and knocked on the door to yell at the kids.

Well, the dude who lives there is like a lumberjack. Huge beard, 6'3" and just a big dude. She lost all her gumption and just asked meekly if he would stop smoking pot inside. Dude was really apologetic though and since then I think has been smoking in his car or something because I don't really ever smell weed anymore. Just cigarettes. So, yay?
---
The Hall of Thrax
From: Lethal | Posted: November 2, 2018, 16:24:53 | Message Detail | Quote | #008
It's progress. Perhaps if he's that reasonable she could bring up the cigarette smell too? I say "she" because I think there can be an element of overcompensation in situations like that. What I mean is, I'm a biggish guy too (mostly tall, 6'4, but gaining a bit of weight as I approach my 30's...) and I am acutely aware that no matter what, some people will always view me as a threat. Therefore, I try to be extra polite and amicable to put people at ease, especially if they're much smaller than me or if I sense that they feel intimidated by my size.

That said, sometimes it's just not possible. If I'm walking down a dark street and someone's approaching from the other direction, I can almost feel their discomfort, like they're thinking "here we go, he's gonna drag me into an alley and rape me." I just want to be a friendly giant...
---
Society had a crime problem. It hired cops to attack crime. Now society has a cop problem.
From: Lobsterpunch | Posted: November 5, 2018, 15:01:44 | Message Detail | Quote | #009
Congratulations! For the house and the wedding! Didn't know you got married. When do you move in?

I just started full-time as a musician in the Canadian Forces. I'm playing with some amazing people and we get to travel a bunch too. We spent 3 weeks in Latvia this summer.

It's a bit weird though having been so mobile for the last 5 or 6 years - I was moving around every 6 months or so - and now I'm starting a career that could potentially see me through to retirement. Also, my European girlfriend that I've been long distance with for 2 years is moving to Canada next year. Lots to look forward to!
---
I am 10 ninjas.
From: Talic | Posted: November 14, 2018, 12:45:32 | Message Detail | Quote | #010
Lethal, I thought of that, but the dude is a grown man and shouldn't feel like he can't live how he wants to. I know he's not doing it out of spite. So oh well.

And Saint/Fadeproof/Lobsterpunch Thanks! We officially moved in last Saturday. Been real nice so far. We got to spend our 2nd anniversary at the new home.

That's exciting! Congrats on getting a job as a full-time musician. I know that isn't the easiest thing. And good luck with moving in with your girlfriend in the near future.

The first year my then fiance and I moved in together was rough. She moved from a different state and didn't know a lot of people where we were. It was a stressful time, but things worked out okay for us lol. I'm sure things will go great for you! I know long distance stuff can suck
---
The Hall of Thrax
From: Lobsterpunch | Posted: November 19, 2018, 18:28:47 | Message Detail | Quote | #011
It's no picnic but I'm sure it'll work out in the end.

Any tips for when we first move in together?
---
I am 10 ninjas.
From: Talic | Posted: November 23, 2018, 18:45:00 | Message Detail | Quote | #012
Just try and be understanding. We all have different ways to clean or fold things. And maybe try and get routines figured out and still make time for romance and dates. It's really easy to just get in the daily life rut after doing long distance and trying to cram everything in short periods then going to seeing the person every day. It's a big difference, but it'll be good

We also wanted to make it seem like it was both of us moving in together and not just throwing out either all my stuff or her stuff if that makes any sense.
---
The Hall of Thrax