Video Game Central

Who's planning to play Fallout 76?

From: Deuce | Posted: September 8, 2018, 15:08:08 | Message Detail | Quote | #001
And on what platform? Generally I play this kind of thing on PC, but if people are planning to play it on PS4, I guess I could pick up both.

---
Hostis humani generis.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
From: Squire636 | Posted: September 8, 2018, 15:56:26 | Message Detail | Quote | #002
Assuming it's being released on Xbox One, I'll probably play it at some point. I doubt I'll get it until a few months after it comes out though.
From: Link Dude | Posted: September 19, 2018, 0:05:26 | Message Detail | Quote | #003
I'm going to wait until more details are released before deciding when to buy it.
---
LMAO i'm into guys - Ant P
From: Talic | Posted: September 26, 2018, 6:12:50 | Message Detail | Quote | #004
My brother in law is getting it for the XboxOne, so I'll probably get it for that if I do end up buying it.
---
The Hall of Thrax
IIRC, Africa gave us AIDS.
I would take it in the ass from Harrison Ford tbqh
From: Deuce | Posted: October 24, 2018, 16:40:34 | Message Detail | Quote | #005
I guess I'll be the one sharing details with you guys then. Bizoom and I will be playing it on PC at first.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: November 24, 2018, 16:35:54 | Message Detail | Quote | #006
My Bethesda name is DeuceExDefcon and Bizoom is fritchco. We're playing on PC.

Despite all the negative reviews out there, it's still a blast to play as long as you don't go into it expecting a normal RPG experience. You can solo everything pretty easily if you want, and you can completely ignore other players if you don't want to deal with them. But some of the most fun I'm having with it is from random battles forming when I cross paths with other players. Tons more enemies spawn (and at higher levels) when there are more players in the vicinity, which just makes everything so much more fun.

Hunting down players with "wanted" status is also oddly entertaining. Whenever there's one in my game, I try to stalk them until I'm close enough for a surprise melee kill. Or if I can't for some reason, I try for the most unexpected kill I can think of at the time. For example, I claimed a bounty on a dude like 10 levels above me by detonating the cars in a parking lot as he was walking through it. Even though the resources you put into it are generally worth more than the pitiful bounty you'll get, it's still just funny every time.

And the soundtrack is fantastic. Definitely pulled some great ones in for this game.

Now I'll rant about a few of the things I haven't liked so far:

1) Inventory management blows ass because of the cripplingly low cap on storage capacity right now, though Bethesda has already said they're planning to increase it eventually once they've had time to test how much the game can withstand.

2) While there's a mechanism in place for easy trading between players, it's really not working right now because first of all, hardly anyone will talk to you (or at least not on PC), and secondly because everyone is always short on the same few items, so no one is willing to trade for them. I'd like to see them make it so that the stuff you sell to vendors would stay in their inventory for the next player to buy it if they want to. I'd also like to see a mechanism put in place to let us dump the stuff we don't have room for in a way that will let other players have a chance at picking it up.

3) Players of every level can be anywhere on the map together at any time whether they're in a party or not, and the enemies in the area will scale based on whoever enters that area first. The result is that low level players can be trying to finish an event, and then suddenly a guy 40 levels higher than them shows up and slaughters everything in one shot. Aside from that just not being very much fun, it also screws you since you don't get any experience or items from enemies if you didn't damage them (unless you're in a party). The flipside is that you can be low level and wind up running into ridiculously over leveled enemies because another player crossed paths with you. For example I went into the super mutant prison and everything was between maybe levels 6 and 10, but then when I was done in there and tried to go back out to the yard, some random player was out there and everything was between levels 22 and 28. It took me like an hour to fight my way out of it.

4) When you buy stuff from vendors, they only leave a tiny fraction of the caps in their inventory for you to sell more crap back to them to recover it. This means that unlike in other Bethesda games where you could trade the vendors all your crap in exchange for stuff in their inventory that you actually wanted, you actually have to use caps this time. I know they did this as a way to encourage trading with other players and to encourage you to complete the random events that pop up around the map, but it still just kinda sucks.

It'll be interesting to see if Bethesda sticks with it and releases updates and more content for it next year considering how extremely bad the reviews have been for it so far. Pete Hines said Bethesda planned to support this "forever", but somehow the vicious review scores make it seem more likely that they'll abandon it entirely.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: November 25, 2018, 22:14:22 | Message Detail | Quote | #007
I'll continue playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and various survivor games (Conan, Ark, and 7 Days to Die), thank you.
---
In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
From: Deuce | Posted: December 2, 2018, 11:39:08 | Message Detail | Quote | #008
If they release a PC version for Read Dead Redemption 2, I'd play the single player. But from what I've read, RDR2's online mode is getting just as much negative attention as Fallout 76's PvP.

Another week into Fallout 76 though and I've had a ton of fun with it. It's a shame that there are only 24 players per server though. The map is so huge that you can sometimes play for hours without seeing anyone unless you actively find them. I can definitely see why people complain about the lack of NPCs with that in mind since some really interesting locations feel kind of pointless when you get there and there aren't any other players nearby.

...also definitely looking forward to the storage increase they're doing on Tuesday, that's for sure.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: December 8, 2018, 2:35:09 | Message Detail | Quote | #009
To be fair, Red Dead Online is still in a beta phase. Although, I haven't touched it, yet. I'd pick up Fallout, but my backlog is so ridiculous, and my work hours don't help. I'll probably end up getting Battlefield if I pick up anything soon.
---
In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
From: Deuce | Posted: December 16, 2018, 18:11:30 | Message Detail | Quote | #010
Classic Bethesda glitches aside, this is still just as addictive as any of their other games. I've dumped close to 150 hours into it already and probably only covered 40% of the map. Still wish they'd crank the inventory space up more though so I wouldn't have to waste as much time maintaining it. In fact they wouldn't even have to increase it, they could solve it just by having the carryweight perks affect the storage instead of just your player's inventory.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: December 18, 2018, 23:36:01 | Message Detail | Quote | #011
On another note, Command and Conquer Rivals on the phone is a simple, yet addictive game...
---
From: Deuce | Posted: December 25, 2018, 12:53:35 | Message Detail | Quote | #012
If the remakes of the earlier games also includes the online part, we definitely have to get some classic C&C going.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: January 6, 2019, 23:43:27 | Message Detail | Quote | #013
Only if they include the ridiculous AI speed of the original...
---
From: Deuce | Posted: January 25, 2019, 20:20:28 | Message Detail | Quote | #014
Well yeah, the game's not any fun if the AI isn't attacking your construction yard before your barracks is built.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: February 17, 2019, 8:56:21 | Message Detail | Quote | #015
So three months into it, I can really only think of two things they've changed that've made drastic improvements.

1) Stash limit increase (from 400 to 600, and next week it's going up to 800).

2) Plans/recipes you already know have a tag in front of them so you can tell that you already know them.

They also reduced the damage from two-shot and explosive weapons, but not enough. Every time I play I run into at least one douchebag that got their hands on a two-shot explosive handmade or shotgun when duping was rampant, and since Bethesda's recent attempt to clean up duped items still left 1 of each duped item in people's inventory, it didn't fix the problem. This has made PVP completely useless since a level 50 player with one of these can kill you in a single shot even when you're 50 levels higher than them.

Another thing I'd really like to see them nerf is power armor in general. You're virtually invincible in it right now to the point where the game is just a joke. They're planning to do a lobby where there's no pacifist mode, but what I'd really like to see is a lobby where power armor doesn't exist.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: March 27, 2019, 20:08:16 | Message Detail | Quote | #016
Okay so the survival mode update is both senseless and bizarrely entertaining at the same time due to the higher concentration of total douchebags that flock to it. Definitely wish they would've made people start new characters for it though.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: May 8, 2019, 19:06:06 | Message Detail | Quote | #017
Took them half a year to finally add the ability to sell stuff to other players without having to physically find them and get them to talk to you. Sad that basic features like this weren't there at launch. Still, all things considered - it's still not a bad thing to play if you just need something to half play while you're watching TV. Kind of like Borderlands really. No real reason to keep playing, but just addictive enough to make you too lazy to play something else for a while.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Talic | Posted: July 17, 2019, 12:01:52 | Message Detail | Quote | #018
I tried to play this game and it just doesn't interest me. I did the one side quest about restoring power and right as I was going to finish it I lost connection and it completely nixed any progress I made.

That just broke me and I never started it again. Which is a bummer.
---
The Hall of Thrax
IIRC, Africa gave us AIDS.
I would take it in the ass from Harrison Ford tbqh