Video Game Central

This topic has been archived. No more messages may be posted in it.

Black Ops 2 graphics remind me of Dead Island.

From: Deuce | Posted: November 13, 2012, 21:21:25 | Message Detail | Quote | #001
Definitely a heavy cartoony flavor to it to go along with the ridiculously cartoony sound effects. They just really didn't put much effort into this at all. C4, frag grenades, semtex, and explosive crossbow bolts all sound literally the same when they explode. They even sound the same no matter where they are when they explode, or how far away you are from them.

---
Hostis humani generis.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
From: Deuce | Posted: November 28, 2012, 20:13:32 | Message Detail | Quote | #002
So after playing this for two weeks, it still sucks.

- The audio is just awful. No excuse for how bad it is.

- The online service kicks games and crashes every night (often giving an error until I restart the 360 too). Our party can get split for no apparent reason and wind up in separate games somehow even though we can still hear each other.

- The spawns are even worse than Modern Warfare 3 which I wouldn't have thought could be possible. Probably a good 4th of all deaths will be within literally 1 second of your respawn. Part of it is because people camp the spawn points, but that's not all of it. I often spawn right behind enemies, or I'll have 2 or 3 enemies spawn right in front of me at the same time and slaughter them before they even realize they respawned.

- Jump shotters are even more absurd than they were in MW3, especially since they can dive prone now. It feels more like Halo than Call of Duty with everyone jumping around all the time. And how does it make sense that people can jump through the air (often out of a window none the less) and consistently one shot kill people with a scope, and yet half the time you can be standing in a hallway with an automatic weapon from 10 feet away and can't hipfire a stationary target unless you've got the laser attachment?

- The physics problem that MW3 had where people were able to have only 1 inch of their helmet sticking over some cover and yet they could still perfectly aim their weapon over it (and the weapon won't be visible either somehow) is back, only even worse. Thankfully, Full Metal Jacket allows for some very effective penetration kills if you use it intelligently.

- Allowing team killing just encourages idiots to intentionally get themselves team killed to cause other players to get booted. And yet they turned team killing off in League Play...? Ridiculous. If the concept of League Play is to rank skill, allowing people to just carelessly spray bullets and explosives with no risk to their team is retarded. I constantly see people in League Play literally spinning in a circle wildly emptying a clip, or pointing at a door and firing a whole clip at a time.

- With that said, the game has two things that I actually like. The way they changed the classes to allow for a lot more customization is great, and the laser attachment actually does make hipfiring deadly again for more than just shotguns.

Also in case the 2 people that actually read this rant are curious, my K:D ratio is actually higher in this than it was in MW3, so these complaints aren't just generic toddler rushing from someone that's not doing as well in this game compared to the last one. Like any game, I enjoy learning how people are abusing the mechanics and then figure out ways to counter it. Certainly no shortage of that in this game.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: December 3, 2012, 2:45:00 | Message Detail | Quote | #003
I've actually been really enjoying the Medal of Honor Warfightrr multiplayer. Only been playing a day, but I actually have no complaints.
---
In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
From: Deuce | Posted: December 16, 2012, 21:17:05 | Message Detail | Quote | #004
Almost every game I tried to play tonight, I was team killed within the first few seconds along with one or more teammates. They really made a bad choice with the way they made it work in this one. Especially since the host can't be booted for team killing. I've seen several games in the last week where someone figures out that they're the host and goes on a team killing rampage just because they know they can't get kicked for it. The least they could do is fix that part, or at least stop displaying the message that lets them know they're the host and can't be booted.

And I can't believe how many problems the matchmaking is still having this long after release. Constant crashes, games that will sit in the lobby without starting, and arbitrarily splitting party members between teams (which I imagine is part of the reason there's so much instant team killing right at the start of matches - parties get split for no reason, and they figure they might as well help the rest of their group out by getting a couple of team kills before they leave the game). They really have no excuse to not be able to get the basics down right considering how many games this franchise has had. This honestly might be the lowest quality game I've played since Legendary, and that's not even really a fair comparison considering how massive the budget difference is between them.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: January 6, 2013, 21:39:13 | Message Detail | Quote | #005
Well at least they made it so that if you hit a teammate within the first few seconds of a match, it kills you instead of them now. Every tiny bit of progress counts I guess.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: January 7, 2013, 15:57:26 | Message Detail | Quote | #006
I've gone back to play Resident Evil 1 - 6, on the 4th one downloaded from PSN and it's a lot harder then I remember... especially the controls after playing 6.
---
In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
From: Deuce | Posted: February 12, 2013, 21:46:48 | Message Detail | Quote | #007
The inspiration for today's poll was a glitch in Black Ops 2 related to custom games which wipes out all of your progress (on regular online mode, not custom) with no warning. Apparently they've known about the glitch since launch and still haven't fixed it yet. Not that it's really a game ruiner since it's really no different than prestiging I guess, but it's still annoying as crap.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: March 19, 2013, 21:25:45 | Message Detail | Quote | #008
I miss when games used to keep really detailed stats about things. I'd love to see how many times I've died from the Peacekeeper that they released in the first map pack for this. I swear ever since it was added, 75% of the people playing are using it. I've quite possibly been killed more times with a Peacekeeper than every other weapon combined at this point.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: September 1, 2013, 21:17:55 | Message Detail | Quote | #009
One thing I'll never understand about so many of the idiots that play Black Ops 2 is the hoard of people that complain about the target finder. Constantly with the "LOLOLOL target finder scrub" as if it's somehow the target finder user's problem that they're too stupid to negate it with cold blooded. Or by not camping. Not to mention that they still complain about it when the kill in the final killcam is a hipfire kill or some other blatant kill where the target finder wasn't a factor at all.

Same thing with UAVs and silencers/ghost, or landmines/engineering. Probably 20% of my kills each game are because someone's camping somewhere with shocksticks and/or landmines out, so you can see them a mile away with engineering. And then they get pissed when you just dash right past the landmines because they're too stupid to realize that engineering also delays their detonation.

Not that it's news that the majority of Call of Duty players are stupid or anything.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: deletemypostsdeuce | Posted: September 4, 2013, 5:19:31 | Message Detail | Quote | #010
- The online service kicks games and crashes every night (often giving an error until I restart the 360 too). Our party can get split for no apparent reason and wind up in separate games somehow even though we can still hear each other.

this was a problem in the first black ops

good job bungie
---
http://thraxatron.blogspot.com/
From: Deuce | Posted: November 11, 2013, 18:33:11 | Message Detail | Quote | #011
So from what I've played of Ghosts so far, my short summary would be that it's pretty much the total opposite of Black Ops 2. Not that I think anyone will ever read this or that they'll care even if they do read it, but I still feel compelled to share my thoughts on the same items that I did for Black Ops 2 (and a few others).

Audio: Far improved over Black Ops 2, although the explosions are still kind of stupid. One thing you'll see a ton of people complaining about is that footsteps are every bit as loud as they were in Modern Warfare 3, so you can hear people from literally half way across the map if they're not crouching (especially if you're using the perk to amplify footsteps). While I do agree that it's ridiculously cheap for campers to be able to hear people so clearly from so far away, so far it's had little impact on my games simply because first, Dead Silence helps keep you quiet, and second, this game is a far slower pace than previous games, so it's not a big deal to have to spend a little more time crouching around. Plus I enjoy knifing camping idiots, and it's a lot easier to do when they're over-confident about what's behind them.

Online: So far it's only dropped a couple of games, and only a couple others have had ridiculous lag. Haven't had any arbitrary splitting of parties yet either.

Spawns: Horrid, even worse than Black Ops 2. This is inexcusable considering the fact that the maps are enormous compared to even the biggest Black Ops 2 map (probably 2 to 5 times the size depending on which map from each game you're comparing). So far I'd say it's about a 25% chance that you'll be sniped within 1 second of spawning by someone that's watching the spawn from a mile away. Then there's another 25% chance that you'll spawn with someone either right in front of you or right behind you, and either get a really cheap kill or get shot in the back. Oh, and let's not forget the douchebags that toss proximity mines directly on spawn points because they know the game's not smart enough to avoid that spawn point if there's a bomb on it. The annoyance factor of these problems is severely amplified by the fact that there's a 10 second spawn timer on average.

Headglitching: The classic physics problem where people can have one inch of their helmet showing above a barrel or crate or whatever and yet still be able to perfectly fire their weapons is back, every bit as bad as it was in the last two games. Except now they've added an even worse element to it, where if you stand near a corner, you can lean around it while aiming. Of course, magically the only thing that shows from the enemy's perspective is a tiny sliver of your helmet, and yet you're still able to somehow fire with every bit as much accuracy. Ironically, the god awful spawning helps combat this to some extent because the headglitchers and leaners often get owned by having an enemy spawn literally 20 feet behind where they're camping.

Teamkilling: Thankfully ricochet is back for hardcore, so there's no more getting booted from games where I had half my team's total score just because some idiot teammate likes to stand in front of my turret, and no more dealing with people that realize they're the host and can't get booted, so they go on a teamkilling spree just to be an ass.

Class customization: It's mostly as flexible as it was for Black Ops 2 (lets you take extra perks in exchange for not taking secondary weapons or lethal/tactical equipment). My only complaint would be that attachments don't take loadout points, so there's no reason not to always have two on every weapon. There are plenty of maps where I'd rather trade those two points for perk points like you could in the Black Ops 2 loadouts.

IEDs: These replaced landmines. These are just proximity bombs that stick to things. I don't generally mind landmines in these games since idiots usually camp right next to them and give away their position, but these are ridiculously overpowered right now and desperately need some balance adjustments. First, they should have to be deployed like a claymore, not tossed like C4 which is how they have them working right now (which basically gives people the added ability to just toss one into a room or over a wall just to find out if there's anyone there). Secondly, if they're going to allow them to be tossed instead of deployed, they need to increase the amount of time it takes for one to arm after it hits the ground, because right now it's basically like a semtex, so there's no way to get away from it fast enough. Thirdly, their effective radius is massive. And finally and possibly the most frustrating of all, they have a blatant physics glitch where they'll kill you around corners, through walls, and through floors. They also seem to kill an enemy from twice as far away as they'll kill allies for some reason. Of course I've always been of the opinion that it's retarded that you can't trigger your own claymores, betties, or IEDs in these games, and neither can your teammates. It would certainly help cut down on the camping stupidity that's encouraged by these things if they could kill your teammates just as easily as your enemies.

Maps: Massive compared to the last few games, which would be great if they'd fix the horribly broken spawns. I have minor complaints like the fact that weather doesn't affect scopes, so people will be sitting with 90% of their body underwater in a corner somewhere when it's pouring rain on them, and yet somehow their scope is still crystal clear. There are tons of corners, windows, and paths to take everywhere, which provides some good options to anti-camp people. I do miss the perk that made you climb stuff faster though. The games are still 10 minutes or first team to 75 kills, but unlike Black Ops 2 where maybe 1 in every 50 games would fail to reach 75 points, it's not uncommon for games to time out in this one (often with the winning team barely reaching 50 points).

Attack dogs: You can call in a personal attack dog as one of the kill streaks, and it will follow you around to kill people that get close to you. If you die, the dog will usually rush towards whoever killed you, and then find you again if you respawn before someone kills it. People are complaining about these like crazy right now, and for one extremely good reason - they take an absurd amount of damage to kill. Sometimes one will be running at you from 50 feet away, and you'll empty an entire clip into it and still not kill it. Other than that, I don't mind them that much for the same reason I don't typically mind landmine spammers - the dogs make a bunch of noise and move around enough that it makes it pretty obvious when some idiot camper is sitting in a corner somewhere with a guard dog next to him.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: January 4, 2014, 22:48:56 | Message Detail | Quote | #012
Two months into this and I don't feel like any of my original comments need revision. Even though Black Ops 2 had a lot of awful mechanics and felt like it was really cheaply made, I have to say it was an infinitely better game overall than Ghosts. Definitely not surprising that Ghosts is turning out to be the lowest rated Call of Duty game ever.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: March 11, 2014, 20:36:02 | Message Detail | Quote | #013
Two more months into this and I'd say nothing's really changed, except how many people have already stopped playing it. There are barely as many online at night on 360 as there still are on Black Ops 2 for 360. Not that I can blame people, seeing as I wouldn't give this game more than a 3 out of 10 if I was writing a review for it. Some of the worst spawning, worst hit detection, and worst physics I've ever seen in a modern game. Not to mention that they seem to have gone out of there way to encourage corner campers as much as they could.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Ohnoesasaurus | Posted: March 17, 2014, 13:21:56 | Message Detail | Quote | #014
call of duty game is bad

film at 11
---
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one's mine.
From: Deuce | Posted: March 18, 2014, 20:14:30 | Message Detail | Quote | #015
Not surprising that it's bad, but definitely disappointing how severely bad it is. As much as people bitch about Black Ops 2, there were really only 2 mechanics that I felt were worse than they were in Modern Warfare 3 (though it's hard to argue the visuals/audio were pretty much worse all around). For Ghosts though, I can't think of a single mechanic that I feel is better than it was in Black Ops 2 other than the fact that I prefer the way Infinity Ward handles teamkilling in hardcore (so I don't get booted when idiot teammates stand in front of a sentry gun).

Edit: Also the knife mechanics are way better in Ghosts, although I still think knifing is a joke in general in these games.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Nick | Posted: March 25, 2014, 5:27:49 | Message Detail | Quote | #016
I just played a game with someone with the name Dstaley229. Was that you?
---
http://gensou.us
From: Deuce | Posted: March 26, 2014, 18:28:25 | Message Detail | Quote | #017
No, my XBL username is still Deuce ex Defcon.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Deuce | Posted: April 26, 2014, 22:02:11 | Message Detail | Quote | #018
Pointless update:

I went back to Black Ops 2 a couple weeks ago and doubt I'll go back to Ghosts. Whatever they broke with the patches that came out around the time the second map pack was released has totally destroyed what little playability the game had, and the 360 playerbase for Black Ops is higher than Ghosts again, which is just sad.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Nick | Posted: May 14, 2014, 19:34:55 | Message Detail | Quote | #019
I have Ghosts and Black Ops 2 and I still prefer Black Ops 2. Hell my clan mostly only plays black ops lately. Ghosts is just terrible.
---
http://gensou.us