Second Social Board

I've finally escaped from Georgia.

From: Deuce | Posted: May 25, 2020, 8:58:31 | Message Detail | Quote | #001
Meant to only be there for 18 months. Four and a half years later, I'm finally back in Illinois. Bought a house four blocks north of my old place and it's only costing me around 30% of what it was costing me to live in Georgia.

The down side is that it's downtown, so the neighborhood is trash. In Georgia I lived in an isolated HOA a few miles north of Atlanta with mostly older people. So quiet and clean. Like night and day compared to downtown Bloomington. Random garbage on the curb everywhere you look. Outside reeks like standing water from all of the overgrown yards (including this one since the prior occupants don't look like they ever mowed it). Stopped at a Kroger and saw a random four person brawl in a parking lot at the smoke shop across the street.

Classic Bloomington, and I couldn't be happier to be back.

---
Hostis humani generis.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
From: BlaargGaakSnort | Posted: May 25, 2020, 9:40:10 | Message Detail | Quote | #002
Sounds like where I'm renting in South Tampa... Yelled at and scared away a homeless woman who was drugged up and putting her shoes next to my mail box the other day...
---
In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.
From: Useless | Posted: May 27, 2020, 4:09:40 | Message Detail | Quote | #003
Looks like I owe you a space heater.
---
Everyone out of the universe, quick!
From: Deuce | Posted: May 27, 2020, 16:09:30 | Message Detail | Quote | #004
With all of the electronics I have jammed into this house, much of it will stay warm on its own.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Talic | Posted: June 17, 2020, 7:19:42 | Message Detail | Quote | #005
Congrats on the new place. Hopefully you don't mind doing yardwork
---
The Hall of Thrax
IIRC, Africa gave us AIDS.
I would take it in the ass from Harrison Ford tbqh
From: Deuce | Posted: July 3, 2020, 20:17:09 | Message Detail | Quote | #006
Yard work season is shorter here than it was in Georgia since it's not warm for as much of the year. The yard here isn't as much work as my last Illinois house was though anyway. I can mow it twice without having to refill the gas in the mower.

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Talic | Posted: July 15, 2020, 3:17:36 | Message Detail | Quote | #007
That's not bad. I have roughly half an acre and it's all grass, so it takes a while. One of my friends has a landscaping business so I ended up just paying him to mow it this year. $40 a week to save me 3+ hours mowing it myself.

Still not sure how I feel about spending that much, but the extra free time is nice.
---
The Hall of Thrax
From: Deuce | Posted: August 10, 2020, 17:45:14 | Message Detail | Quote | #008
3 hours to mow half an acre? How many times are you mowing it? o_O

---
Hostis humani generis.
From: Talic | Posted: September 16, 2020, 8:58:08 | Message Detail | Quote | #009
Once a week. Idk how the fuck it grows so fast but it does. I only have a 21inch self propelled mower, so I'm sure a riding mower would be faster.

I'm dreading the fall though. So many damn leaves
---
The Hall of Thrax
From: Lethal | Posted: September 19, 2020, 20:35:07 | Message Detail | Quote | #010
Jesus christ... are we adults now?

The purpose of my last week has been to figure out why my Venus fly trap is being a little bitch about eating. I keep it beside my compost bucket in the kitchen and fruit flies land in its jaws all the time, but for some weird reason it's just closing around the flies for a few days before re-opening without digesting the meat. The kid at the plant sore suggested feeding it some sandwich meat but that's exactly what all the online advice recommends not doing (something to do with harmful nitrates) so i'm not going to take his advice. I think he's faking his way through this job. I'd call him a bastard but I did the same thing when I was a teenager.
---
Society had a crime problem. It hired cops to attack crime. Now society has a cop problem.